In the real world, faith in markets operates as a quasi-religious faith, with one caveat: all morality has been stripped away. So the market god is essentially an avaricious, greedy deity.
The right wing has been ascending since about 1980 (earlier if you
think Carter was an aberation due to Watergate). During this period of
increasing dominance in "free" markets, the USA has become brutalized.
- the per cent of our population that we imprison, compared to any other industrialized nation.
- the per cent of our population that has no health insurance, compared to any other industrialized nation.
- cost of college tuition, compared to any other industrialized nation.
- the insecurity of our middle class.
- levels of inequality and political and economic dominance by corporate and financial elites.
- the decline of class mobility and the rise of stratification.
With this as the background, we brutalized Iraq. For our (sick) fantasies, we destroyed a country. Iraq is the tragedy that demonstrates our sickness of mind and heart.
I am sick to death of the right wing. Thanks to you guys, I have learned to both hate and despair for my country. And a large part of your insanity is the 'Market God'.
Of course I hardly view hard core religious godliness as the antidote. Fundamentalists are among the most selfish and arrogant creatures on the planet: they will kill anyone and destroy anything if they can convince themselves that by doing so they get more 'heavenly brownie points'. I have noticed that while many neo cons and conservatives have examined their mistakes with anguish wrt Iraq, the fundamentalists have remained silent. No remorse, no reflection, no regret. They waded neck deep into a river of blood and they don't notice, let alone care.
Listen, market dummies: there are no short cuts. No short cuts to good judgement, good character, good policy. No short cuts to education. No short cuts to a clean environment. No short cuts to democracy. No short cuts to community values.
Grow up. Get real. The "free" market solution to these problems is easy and BOGUS. Haven't you done enough damage? When are you going to learn from your mistakes?
Lastly, I resent that you have absconded with the word "free". You have violated a beautiful word and concept.